Monday Morning Motivation – Value
(Sharing Resources to Help You Grow Personally, Professionally & Financially)
Sometimes it helps to get a little dose of encouragement — along with a good cup of coffee! — to start the day.
Hopefully the message below will help you get off to a good start for the week. Please feel free to forward the newsletter on to others that you think would benefit from the content.
A lot of folks would like to get to the point of “financial independence”. A lot of these same folks struggle with how to accomplish this task. On the most basic level, it is a pretty simple equation:
- Earn more, save more, and/or spend less
Most people recognize – although they don’t act on it! – the “save more” and “spend less” part of the equation lie wholly within their control (more on these topics in a future blog post and/or a future Monday Morning Motivation). However, when it comes to “earn more”, many folks “explain” to me that I don’t understand. The conversation often goes something like this:
- You don’t understand. I am stuck in my job. There is no place to go. With the economy the company is not giving raises anymore; and when they do, it is only enough to cover inflation. I need to suck it up for the family.
For some, the above may be an accurate depiction. For most it’s poppycock. Sorry facts are facts and there are folks claiming their financial independence every day.
The secret to earning more is VERY simple:
- Deliver more value
While we may not like it, most people operate under the WIIFM principle – that’s “what’s in it for me” for those of you not familiar with the acronym. That being the case, if you want to earn more, you need to SHOW others how you deliver more value. Again, the recipe is relatively straight forward:
- Deliver better financial results for your current company via doing your current job better – This one will get you the raise.
- Deliver better financial results for your current company via doing OTHER’S jobs better – This one will get you the new job.
- Find a need outside of your current job and address the need with a solution – This one will get you your own business
Are any of the above easy? Absolutely not! Are they doable? Absolutely. There ARE people getting raises; there ARE people getting new jobs; and there ARE people starting their own businesses each day.
That brings us to this week’s question:
- How are you delivering value?
Thanks for sharing a bit of your time with me this Monday morning and I wish you all the best for the week.
Blog posts from this past week: