Book Summary – The 29 Percent Solution
The 29% Solution
Ivan R. Misner and Michelle R. Donovan
Ivan Misner is well known as the founder of Business Networking International so it should come as no surprise to find that together with Michelle Donovan he has pulled together a solid book on how to improve your networking skills.
The authors take issue with the popular “wisdom” that we are all connect by six degrees of separation. Instead, they argue that only 29% — hence the book’s title – of us are this well connected.
The book is broken up in to 52 tips (one for each week) related to networking, ten key traits that successful networkers possess, and ten key questions that successful networkers ask.
Taking the time to review the tips, traits, and questions would be a wise investment of your time.
52 Weekly Tips:
- Set Networking Goals
- Block Out Time to Network
- Profile Your Preferred Client
- Recruit Your Word-of-Mouth Marketing Team
- Give to Others First
- Create a Network Relationships Database
- Master the Top Ten Traits
- Diversify Your Contacts
- Meet the RIGHT People
- Reconnec t with People from the Past
- Talk to Your Family
- Stop Being a Cave Dweller
- Join a Web-Based Networking Group
- Become Magnetic
- Be a Value-Added Friend
- Become a Catalyst
- Find an Accountability Partner
- Volunteer and Become Visible
- Send a Thank-You Card
- Follow Up TODA
- Be “ON” 24/7
- Learn to Play Golf or Something
- Have Purposeful First Meetings
- Make First Impressions Count
- Seek Out a Referral Networking Group
- Join a Chamber of Commerce
- Sponsor Select Events
- Host a Purposeful Event
- Ask Your Own Questions
- Talk About Benefits, Not Features
- Become a Profiler for Your Business
- Become a Motivational Speaker for Your Business
- Leverage Your Smallest Billboard
- Give a High-Value Presentation
- Create an Informative Newsletter
- Write a Press Release
- Write Your Own Identity
- Ask for Written Testimonials
- Write Down Two Success Stories
- Write a Personal Introduction
- Toot Your Own Horn
- Ask for Feedback
- Adopt a Host Mentality
- Follow the Money Trail
- Write a Letter of Support
- Ask for Referrals
- Read the Paper, with Referral Intent
- Conquer Your Fear of Public Speaking
- Become the Hub Firm of a Power Team
- Become a Networking Mentor
- Recruit an Advisory Board for Your Business
- Commit to Lifelong Learning
Ten Key Traits
- Timely follow up on referrals
- Positive attitude
- Good listening skills
- Commitment to networking 24/7
- Dedicated to working one’s network
Ten Key Questions To Ask
- What do you do?
- Who’s your target market?
- What do you like most about what you do?
- What’s new in your business?
- What’s the biggest challenge in your business?
- What sets you apart from your competition?
- Why did you start your business?
- Where is your business located?
- What’s your most popular product?
- How do you generate most of your business?
If you have any questions, thoughts or comments about the topics covered in this article, feel free to reach out to me at any point in time. I enjoy working with entrepreneurs, corporate executives, and families to define their goals and make sure they have plans in place they are executing to achieve those goals.
If you would like to have a copy of this summary in PDF form to share with others you can click here
Want access to additional information on DFA? Click Here to Join Our Mailing List and receive access to a private page with more information.
We’d Be Happy To Share More Information With You. Click Here If You Would Like To Join Our Mailing List.
If you liked this post, you might want to check out these as well: