It Is Not About the Money – Investing in 12 Pictures
Back in December of 2014 Carl Richards at Behavior Gap was gracious enough to share twelve of his best graphics with anyone that wanted them for absolutely no charge. His hope was that folks in the financial services industry could take these images and use them to convey the importance of using a disciplined process to reach your investing goals.
I’ve taken Carl’s images and used them to explain how to systematically approach investing based on these twelve pictures.
Investing in Twelve Pictures (pictures one through ten):
- Picture One – You Have To Start With a Goal
- Picture Two – You Need to Focus on What You Can Control
- Picture Three – The Best Solutions Are Simple
- Picture Four – It is NOT a Plan it IS a Process
- Picture Five – Over Time You Will Learn New Things
- Picture Six – There Will Be Ups and Downs Along the Way
- Picture Seven – You Will Fail If You Succumb to Fear
- Picture Eight – Diversification
- Picture Nine – Asset Allocation is the Key to Investing
- Picture Ten – Most Investors Out-Think Themselves
Hopefully they will help at least one individual take the necessary steps to reach their personal, professional, and financial goals. Without further ado, picture number eleven…
It Is Not About The Money
While I think that last week’s lesson may be my favorite of Richard’s, this week’s image is probably the most important…
For while this series of posts focuses on investing, that is NOT what is important! Investments are simply a tool that allow you to achieve your goal. And when it comes to goals, Thoreau said it best:
- What you get by achieving your goals is not as important as what you become by achieving your goals
Richards picture today is one of his simplest and yet one of his most complex.
You see a circle entitled “circle of gratitude” surrounding a dot entitled “you”. The point he is making / the question that he is asking you to consider is:
- What are the things around you, the things you have in life, that you are grateful for?
Yes, investing is a serious endeavor. However, the wise investor understands three things:
- Investments are simply a tool to help you achieve your goals
- Goals are important, but who you become in pursuing them is even more important
- Ultimately it is about being grateful for those that are in your life
Keeping these three lessons at the forefront of your mind is critical to your success as an investor.
Some other posts that you might like:
- How Are DFA Funds Different than Index Funds?
- How Families Can Calculate Retirement Income Wants Versus Needs
- What Your Grandma Taught You About Investing
- Making Sure You Can Collect a Paycheck in Retirement
Would You Like More Support?
- Do you have a well-defined Investment Policy Strategy that is used to drive your investments in support of a comprehensive financial plan?
- If not, would you like to partner with someone who is used to helping people get through these struggles and (then, with confidence) implement portfolio strategies in a systematic manner while focusing on your desired outcomes?
If so, feel free to send us an email or give us a call. We’d love to have the opportunity to help you find a bit more peace of mind when it comes to investing.
F5 Financial is a fee-only wealth management firm with a holistic approach to financial planning, personal goals, and behavioral change. Through our F5 Process, we provide insight and tailored strategies that inspire and equip our clients to enjoy a life of significance and financial freedom.
F5 Financial provides fee-only financial planning services to Naperville, Plainfield, Bolingbrook, Aurora, Oswego, Geneva, St. Charles, Wheaton, Glen Ellyn, Lisle, Chicago and the surrounding communities; to McDonough, Henry County, Fayette County, Atlanta and the surrounding communities; to Venice, Sarasota, Fort Myers, Port Charlotte, Cape Coral, Osprey, North Port, and the surrounding communities; and nationally.
We'd love to have the opportunity to hear about your situation. Contact us here to schedule an appointment for a consultation.
Helping You With
Wealth Preservation – Wealth Enhancement – Wealth Transfer – Wealth Protection – Charitable Giving