Last week ended and this week started with some pretty significant downward movements in global stock markets. Right on queue, the “negative Nellies” came out of the woodwork with proclamations about how the end was near. Will people never learn?
Earlier this week I came across a perspective on risk versus volatility that I thought was absolutely brilliant:
- Risk is related to the permanent loss of capital.
- Volatility is related to transient fluctuation in value of capital.
Permanent versus transient. This perspective is—in my opinion— absolutely 100% spot on. My investment thesis is built around two unshakable beliefs:
- Twenty years from now the world’s population will be larger than it is now.
- Twenty years from now the world’s economy will be larger than it is now.
If you buy into the above two beliefs, then the market fluctuations we just experienced are nothing more than a demonstration of volatility. Conversely, if you do NOT subscribe to the above, you may believe that your capital is at risk.
Am I right that this is an issue of volatility, or is it “different this time” and we are facing a permanent loss of capital? There is absolutely, positively no way of knowing. HOWEVER, every instance in the past has come down on the side of volatility versus risk. And that is the position that I have always taken and always expect to take.
Thanks for sharing a bit of your time with me today.
Would You Like More Support?
- Do you have a well-defined Investment Policy Strategy that is used to drive your investments in support of a comprehensive financial plan?
- If not, would you like to partner with someone who is used to helping people get through these struggles and (then, with confidence) implement portfolio strategies in a systematic manner while focusing on your desired outcomes?
If so, feel free to send us an email or give us a call. We’d love to have the opportunity to help you find a bit more peace of mind when it comes to investing.
Photo credit: Pepi Stojanovski on unsplash.com
F5 Financial is a fee-only wealth management firm with a holistic approach to financial planning, personal goals, and behavioral change. Through our F5 Process, we provide insight and tailored strategies that inspire and equip our clients to enjoy a life of significance and financial freedom.
F5 Financial provides fee-only financial planning services to Naperville, Plainfield, Bolingbrook, Aurora, Oswego, Geneva, St. Charles, Wheaton, Glen Ellyn, Lisle, Chicago and the surrounding communities; to McDonough, Henry County, Fayette County, Atlanta and the surrounding communities; and nationally.
We'd love to have the opportunity to hear about your situation. Contact us here to schedule an appointment for a consultation.
Helping You With
Wealth Preservation – Wealth Enhancement – Wealth Transfer – Wealth Protection – Charitable Giving