So, as watching TV is not my thing, when I recently came across “Marie Kondo” and a discussion of “KonMari” in a blog post about IRA’s, I did NOT have any context. Thank heavens for Google.
A quick search revealed that Marie Kondo is one of the newest TV sensations and that she focuses on a minimalist approach / getting thing organized. This sounded intriguing. Searching further, I found her six rules:
- Commit yourself to tidying up.
- Imagine your ideal lifestyle.
- Finish discarding first.
- Tidy by category, not location.
- Follow the right order.
- Ask yourself if it sparks joy.
Ms. Kondo would make a great financial planner! Taking her six rules and tweaking a bit to help with “organizing” your financial life, I get:
- Commit yourself to getting organized in your financial life.
- Establish your goals as it relates to faith, family, friends and fitness.
- Stop spending money on things that are not aligned with your goals.
- Fully understand your spending in each area of your life.
- Take control of your cash flow, insurance, estate planning, taxes, education planning, charitable giving, and investments.
- Ask yourself if having your finances aligned with your faith, family, friends, and fitness makes you more joyful.
Money is nothing more than a tool to be used to support you in the other areas of your life. However, without a structured, disciplined process to deal with your finances, you are likely going to have a mess in your house.
No one will ever confuse me with Marie Kondo. However, I hope at least a few people that read this will recognize that bringing order to the chaos of your finances is critical to living a life of significance.
Would You Like More Support?
- Do you have a well-defined Investment Policy Strategy that is used to drive your investments in support of a comprehensive financial plan?
- If not, would you like to partner with someone who is used to helping people get through these struggles and (then, with confidence) implement portfolio strategies in a systematic manner while focusing on your desired outcomes?
If so, feel free to send us an email or give us a call. We’d love to have the opportunity to help you find a bit more peace of mind when it comes to investing.
Photo credit: Jessy Smith on unsplash.com
F5 Financial is a fee-only wealth management firm with a holistic approach to financial planning, personal goals, and behavioral change. Through our F5 Process, we provide insight and tailored strategies that inspire and equip our clients to enjoy a life of significance and financial freedom.
F5 Financial provides fee-only financial planning services to Naperville, Plainfield, Bolingbrook, Aurora, Oswego, Geneva, St. Charles, Wheaton, Glen Ellyn, Lisle, Chicago and the surrounding communities; to McDonough, Henry County, Fayette County, Atlanta and the surrounding communities; to Venice, Sarasota, Fort Myers, Port Charlotte, Cape Coral, Osprey, North Port, and the surrounding communities; and nationally.
We'd love to have the opportunity to hear about your situation. Contact us here to schedule an appointment for a consultation.
Helping You With
Wealth Preservation – Wealth Enhancement – Wealth Transfer – Wealth Protection – Charitable Giving